Individuals who took Truvada for HIV treatment or pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) and developed severe complications including kidney failure and bone density loss are taking legal action against Gilead Sciences, the manufacturer of the drug containing TDF (tenofovir disoproxil fumarate). The California-based pharmaceutical company is facing allegations of failure to adequately warn about Truvada side effects, marketing a drug with design defects and stalling the development of a safer version of the HIV treatment in order to maximize profits.
Truvada Litigation Against Gilead
If you or a loved one suffered broken bones, kidney damage or other injuries from Gilead’s Truvada, contact HIV Litigation Attorneys™ for a free legal consultation. By filing a Truvada lawsuit, you may be able to recoup compensation for the injuries you sustained after taking this widely prescribed drug.
Our law firm provides tenacious advocacy for those injured by Gilead’s TDF drugs and have been at the forefront of this litigation since its inception. We filed the first legal actions against Gilead for these types of claims, including a Truvada class action lawsuit as well as individual personal injury claims. Our attorneys are currently reviewing potential lawsuits in all 50 states.
What is Truvada?
Truvada is a prescription antiretroviral, approved by the FDA in 2012 to treat individuals who test positive for HIV. Truvada is also used as a pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), helping to reduce the risk of HIV infection in higher-risk patients. Truvada is a fixed-dose tablet that contains two antiretroviral components: tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and emtricitabine.
Truvada Side Effects
Truvada use may be linked to an increased risk of serious health complications, including kidney disease, renal failure, and a notable drop in bone density.
Possible side effects linked to Truvada include:
- Kidney problems – Kidney problems are diagnosed with blood and urine tests. If left untreated, this may lead to kidney failure, which is often accompanied by reduced urine output, swelling of the feet, ankles and legs, confusion, unexplained shortness of breath and excessive drowsiness.
- Bone injuries – Weakened and thinning bones that become osteoporotic and are more susceptible to fractures.
- Liver damage – Liver problems can be fatal if left untreated. Early signs of liver damage include dark urine, jaundiced skin or eyes, nausea, prolonged loss of appetite and stomach pain.
- Lactic acidosis – Lactic acidosis is a medical emergency brought on by an excess of lactic acid in the blood. Symptoms include unusual muscle pain, shortness of breath, abnormal heartbeat, dizziness, nausea, or sudden fatigue.
Those who have suffered kidney problems or bone injuries may have a compensable legal claim against Gilead to cover past and future hospital bills, lost wages, reduced earning capacity, disability, pain, and suffering. Talking to an experienced HIV Litigation attorney is the first step.
Can Filing a Truvada Lawsuit Help?
A court award or settlement can assist those who were injured after taking Truvada for the prevention or treatment of HIV. Big Pharma has a long history of concealing facts from the public that could cut profits or harm their reputation. Litigation, in the form of individual lawsuits, a mass tort, or class action, is often the most efficient way to hold corporations accountable for their misrepresentations and wrongful actions.
Truvada has racked up billions in sales for Gilead Sciences — a company that has been repeatedly accused of downplaying the risks of Truvada while purposefully withholding a less-toxic antiretroviral to protect their bottom line. Litigation against Gilead Sciences raises several causes of action including: failure to warn, design defect, negligence and breach of implied and express warranties.
HIV Litigation Attorneys™ are fierce advocates for those who have been harmed by Truvada. Contact our firm to find out if you or a family member is eligible to file a Truvada lawsuit. Legal claims are time sensitive and subject to strict statutes of limitation, so call today for a free case review.
- LA Times, Patients sue Gilead, saying drug company intentionally delayed safer HIV medicine
- AIDS Healthcare Foundation, Gilead Lawsuits:
California HIV Patients File Class Action and Personal Injury Cases Over Key HIV Drug
- YouthHealth, New Findings Show Truvada Treatment Against HIV Linked To Bone Loss In Young Men