About the Attorneys
Liza M. Brereton
Ms. Brereton focuses her practice on litigation, including product liability, toxic tort, business litigation, and land use litigation. Ms. Brereton has extensive experience representing Fortune 500 companies and nonprofit corporations in federal court, state court, and arbitration. Ms. Brereton’s practice focuses on issues of public health, advocacy for people who have HIV and AIDS, affordable housing and transparency in government. Ms. Brereton represents individuals and serves as in-house counsel for the global non-profit AIDS Healthcare Foundation. Ms. Brereton has a passion for fighting for people who have been harmed by powerful corporate, institutional and societal players. Prior to law school, Ms. Brereton was a supervisor in the legal advocacy department of a battered women’s nonprofit organization.
- Filed first lawsuits in the country against Gilead Sciences, Inc. alleging personal injury claims and a consumer class action regarding its medications containing TDF.
- Filed lawsuit for declaration of patent invalidity and violation of the Sherman Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1 and 2, against pharmaceutical companies Gilead and Johnson & Johnson, among others, concerning their exclusivity to market certain HIV medications that use TAF as the base compound. Certiorari is being sought to the Supreme Court on the claims asserted by AHF.
- Successfully resolved a contract dispute with Los Angeles County involving allegations that nonprofit corporation breached a contract involving millions of dollars of federal funds. Obtained a dismissal of all claims being asserted by Los Angeles County against client.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in patent invalidity and antitrust litigation to a successful judgement on the merits.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in copyright litigation to a favorable outcome.
- Obtained a successful judgment for a Fortune 500 company in breach of contract and fraud dispute.
- Obtained successful judgement on the merits in trial court and affirmation on appeal for nonprofit corporation regarding its entitlement to charitable tax exemptions.
- Obtained successful judgement for nonprofit corporation regarding privacy claims.
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- UCLA School of law, J.D., 2008
- Kalamazoo College, B.A., Political Science, 2001, cum laude
I’ve taken a Gilead HIV drug and I’m interested in the lawsuit.
Please describe your side effects – specifically kidney and bone density issues – in as much detail as possible:
We’re Putting Patients First, Over Profit
There is substantial evidence that Gilead withheld Genvoya (TAF), a safer alternative version of tenofovir drugs used to treat HIV infection, for over a decade.
Are you taking an HIV drug manufactured by Gilead and interested in this litigation?