About the Attorneys
Arti L. Bhimani
Arti L. Bhimani represents companies and individuals in complex litigation and arbitration matters, including in the substantive areas of personal injury, consumer protection, qui tam, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, toxic tort, and breach of contract. She has experience handling matters in federal and state courts and before arbitrators and administrative agencies. She has been recognized for her work by the California Super Lawyers magazine.
- Filed first lawsuits in the country against Gilead Sciences, Inc. alleging personal injury claims and a consumer class action regarding its medications containing TDF.
- Filed lawsuit for declaration of patent invalidity and violation of the Sherman Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1 and 2, against pharmaceutical companies Gilead and Johnson & Johnson, among others, concerning their exclusivity to market certain HIV medications that use TAF as the base compound. Certiorari is being sought to the Supreme Court on the claims asserted by the client.
- Handled Pharmaceutical Mass Tort cases against manufacturers of anti-depressant drugs and Toxic Tort cases against asbestos manufactures. Worked on all aspects of the cases from the pleadings, to discovery, to dispositive motions and trial preparation.
- Lead counsel for nonprofit corporation in qui tam action asserted against it alleging violations of the federal Anti-Kickback Statute. The client was completely vindicated when all causes of action asserted against it were defeated in summary judgment. Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the complete judgment in favor of client and against Plaintiffs.
- Argued before Cal-OSHA for stricter enforcement and more regulations on the use of condoms in the porn industry.
- Successfully resolved a contract dispute with Los Angeles County involving allegations that nonprofit corporation breached a contract involving millions of dollars of federal funds. Obtained a dismissal of all claims being asserted by Los Angeles County against client.
- Argued before the Ohio Appellate Court on whether Ohio Department of Health violated federal regulations in its management and distribution of federal funds for HIV/AIDS.
- Defended a medical malpractice action concerning an alleged violation of HIPAA in the delivery of patient medication.
- Tried a case involving a $5mm dispute between members of a limited liability company on whether actions taken by a majority of members violated the fiduciary duties owed to the minority members. Verdict reached in favor of client, which resulted in client receiving millions of dollars in judgment against defendant.
- Tried cases and arbitrated disputes, including an arbitration matter involving alleged misrepresentations concerning the sale and purchase of auction rate securities. All cases tried resulted in judgment in favor of client or settlement.
- Tried a commercial lease dispute involving one of the tallest buildings in Korea. Successfully resolved the matter in favor of client, where client received millions of dollars as settlement.
- California Bar
- California State Courts
- California United States District Courts
- United States Court of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D. 2004
- Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, B.A. Molecular Biology, College Honors 1998